Finishing options for loudspeaker enclosures
Choice of veneer is really down to personal taste and home surroundings.
As with veneer, there are a wide range of different finishes available for wood:
- Oil - Brings out the natural appearance of the wood, however a long drying time and the need for frequent re-application makes it unsuitable for my product.
- Wax Polish - Enhances grain and produces dull gloss finish. This is a good finish, however the need for frequent application is, again, undesirable.
- French Polish - Pleasant, matt finish, but a great deal of skill needed to apply properly
- Cellulose Lacquer - Substitute for French polish, easy to apply, but prone to cracking and have a short life.
- Synthetic Resin - These plastic varnishes are easy to apply and give a hard and durable finish.
- Polyurethane varnish (highly recommended) – a hardy varnish that is easy to apply and work with, minimum maintenance required and gives very durable, attractive finish.